Content marketing is also known as “non-interruption” marketing, as instead of pitching products or services, information is delivered which seeks to inform and explain to the consumer. The reason why content marketing is so valuable is because of the belief that, if we as businesses deliver consistent valuable information to buyers, we will be seen as the authority in these areas and as a result, a go to information source. Consumers will invariably add their trust into your business and the aim is for the buyer to choose your product over another brand. This type of strategy is more authentic and a more sustainable approach to previous seo and online marketing methods.
Content marketing is not a new concept. It’s been around since the first ever publication of magazines and newspapers. It’s just that now it has taken more precedence in the online world. It’s no longer enough to just write for a search engine – human experience should come first. Since the Google algorithm changes in April 2012, the search engine penalised those sites in which were seen to be manipulating the search engine through keyword stuffing and “black hat” seo tricks. Google wanted to return the results which were genuinely worth higher rankings and so those sites which were the most informative and natural are rewarded.
- Firstly think about what you want to achieve and define your goals and objectives, this will enable you to create more specific and meaningful content. Do you want to inform, persuade or entertain?
- Define the purpose of your content, as much as possible. Who do you want to reach? Define your target audience and know the demographics, age range, psychographics and behaviours of your audience.
- Identify triggers such as an event which prompts someone to seek out information online. For example, a motivation which triggers the initiation of a search. Understanding why someone may be searching for your site or content will enable you to create a strategy which works.
- What is the editorial strategy? Define your tone and content which will make your site more relatable and enables your audience to feel connected. Maintain this throughout your site for consistency.
- Think about the type of content you should create. Search the landscape and look at creating discussions in forums, social media, blogs, as well as optimising content on your site.
Miromedia are a creative web seo Birmingham agency, who provide a range of services including copywriting, ppc and social media management.