The creator creates, and then hands over to the successors. But the successors get access, play with the creation, and like to complain if get injured. The day Albert Einstein discovered the mass-energy formula (E=mc2), he was rejoiced as he did not know that the consequence would be an Atom Bomb.
Likewise, Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of Facebook, launched “theFacebook” on February 04, 2004 which is truly an asset for web users. He should not be accused if it’s manipulated by some in different way. Someway you may feel that Facebook was made basically for teenagers as lots of its users are actually teens. But the major concern here is most of them are addicted to this giant social networking site. So they become virtually wayward from their core duty. Let’s focus on some serious impacts of Facebook on teens.
Negative Psychological Impacts:
- By overusing Facebook, teens may become narcissistic. Symptoms of narcissism include:
- Excessive self-love. Believing that you are better than others.
- Exaggerating your talents and power.
- Failing to feel other people’s emotions.
- Being jealous of others and believing that others are jealous of you.
- Setting unrealistic goals and being easily hurt and rejected.
- Behaving like a tough-minded and unemotional.
- Many other side-effects related to emotion, personality and behavior.
Be alert for your children if you see any of the above tendencies.
- Teenagers who are actively using Facebook for longer periods may show aggressive nature, mania and anti-social behaviors.
- They suffer from Stomach aches, sleeplessness, depression and other health problems.
Negative Educational Impacts:
- Teens involving in excessive Facebook activities remain absent from their schools and core work most of the times.
- Overuse of Facebook apparently reduces the time for study.
- Sometimes it leads to lower grades in examinations.
- More importantly if children spend very few times with their family and parents, they can’t learn the basics and unity as family teaches kids a lot.
Positive Facebook Impacts:
Including some bad effects there are some good effects of Facebook on teens. Let’s view some of these too.
- One positive effect of Facebook on teenagers is that it is a place where teens practice empathy, having a real impact on their friends’ moods.
- Sharing thoughts and comments improves understanding and communication between friends.
- When teens interact with each other it turns some shy guys into socially fit enough to communicate freely. So, they unknowingly are trained from Facebook in this way.
- By using Facebook children become self-aware, they recognize their likes and dislikes, their interests, hobbies, profiles etc. In turn their choice becomes high-standard.
How to check Facebook’s negative effects:
- Remember, trust is the foremost thing between a child and the parents. So, don’t treat badly with your teens for their Facebook activities.
- Try to help them understand the importance of studies at the teen-age and convince them the value of time in this period.
- Before saying them something first listen their words carefully.
- Behave properly and try to bring the gadgets like laptops and i-phones out from them at night and at the time of study. Note that you should not be rude while doing this.
- Don’t gift your kids such technological gadgets at every occasion or celebration. After all books are the best friends of students.